Until 9 June 2015
Symposion is a platform for developing and encouraging cooperation and promoting a European and international dimension in Teacher Education, i.e. preschool to post primary.
- Update bilateral agreements to maintain and promote student and staff exchanges,
- Sharing of information on educational, political and cultural issues through annual meetings and a common website,
- Stimulate cooperation within the network to design and implement common educational programmes or projects,
- Work to promote and develop internationalisation at home,
- Expand the network by including other teacher education partners for a broader representation,
- Facilitate contacts for other courses and programmes offered by the partner institutions,
- Develop the network by promoting various activities among teacher students and teacher education staff such as study trips, short placements, communication through ICT, etc.
Symposion was created in 1992.
Symposion is run by a steering committee agreed on at the annual meeting.
The steering committee should:
- formulate and prepare strategies and activities for the network based on suggestions from previous annual meetings,
- plan the annual meeting together with the host institution representative,
- decide on membership issues,
- handle arising questions inbetween the meetings,
- manage the Symposion website and general communication within the network.
The steering committee will meet as required.
The steering committee members sit on a voluntary basis. The steering committee comprises 4 persons and each person will sit for 3 years and is then up for election.
The Symposion membership is open to European universities and higher education institutions in teacher education. There is no membership fee. Costs for travel and subsistence to network meetings should be funded by the participants’ institutions. The host of the annual meeting is responsible for meeting rooms, supply and facilities. The host can recommend and may assist in finding accommodation.
Those teacher education institutions taking part in Symposion should have at least one bilateral agreement within the network. We expect that at least one person represents each partner at the annual meeting. The member should have knowledge of the teacher education as well as internationalisation.
Membership could be achieved either by outside applications or internal suggestions. The members agree on a new partner by asking the steering group to invite them at the annual meeting. Members missing three successive annual meetings may be excluded from Symposion by the steering group.
The annual meetings
At the annual meetings the host will act as the chair person.
A secretary to take minutes will be appointed. The agenda, planned in cooperation with the steering committee, will be sent out by the host. Ideas to be discussed at the annual meetings can be sent by any member to the host or a member of the steering committee in advance.